Habits of a Successful Choral Musician | Conductor's Edition with Expanded Text, Exercises, and Lessons | Eric Wilkinson & Scott Rush
Habits of a Successful Choral Musician is a resource for both choir directors and choral singers that builds music fundamentals (sight-singing and ear training) and vocal functions (from posture to tone). This book has provided a clear and well-organized pedagogy that is helping my students to improve in all facets of being a choral musician.
— Alan Davis, Director of Choirs, Hemet High School, Hemet, CA
Habits of a Successful Choral Musician by Eric Wilkinson and Scott Rush is a fantastic resource for choir directors who seek to develop all levels of singers. The book provides a pedagogical approach to teaching voice building, rhythm work, tuning exercises, sight-reading, theory exercises, and suggestions to nurture the entire musician. I love how this one method book covers multiple aspects of musicianship, rather than having to use multiple books to build each individual skill.
— Emily Chandler, Director of Choirs, Seven Lakes High School, Katy, TX
Habits of a Successful Choral Musician is a field-tested, vital, and—most important—musical collection of more than 200 sequenced exercises for building fundamentals and artistry.
Perfect for use by an entire choir or soloist, this book contains carefully sequenced warm-ups, vocalises, chorales, rhythm work, tonal patterns, sight-singing etudes, and much more. In one place, this book presents everything an aspiring singer needs to build fundamental musicianship skills and then be able to transfer those skills directly into the performance of great literature.
Habits of a Successful Choral Musician:
- Provides material for use during fundamentals time that promotes a comprehensive approach to developing skills necessary to fill the musical toolbox.
- Includes a sequential format that leads to the mastery of reading rhythms and, ultimately, to musical sight-singing.
- Provides chorales and other ensemble exercises for the development of tone quality, ensemble sonority, and musicianship.
- Includes partner songs, folk songs, and rounds to develop harmony skills.
- Combines pedagogy, literacy, fundamentals development, sight-singing, and musicianship into one book under one cover.
- Promotes the idea that technique and artistry are not taught in silos but are simultaneously taught as students build capacity in both areas.
Habits of a Successful Choral Musician is the answer to the question, "What should I be learning during fundamentals time?"
Eric Wilkinson is the Director of Choral Studies at Wando High School in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
Scott Rush is the Director of Fine and Performing Arts in Dorchester District Two (SC) and is the lead writer for the Habits series published by GIA.
Preview the contents with Erik Wilkinson in this video...